Located on a pier in Baltimore's inner harbor, the massive power plant building was erected in phases between 1900 and 1909. It served as the main source of power for the United Railways and Electric Company that operated the city's streetcars. In the early 1920s the plant was sold to the Consolidated Gas, Electric Light and Power Company, and made steam that downtown buildings bought for heat. By 1972, with its equipment obsolete, the plant closed and remained vacant for many years.
MLA worked with Landmark Entertainment to transform the building into a themed attraction owned and operated by Six Flags. It reopened in 1985 as part of the city’s effort to revitalize the waterfront area. It was sold in 1989 and now houses a Hard Rock Cafe, Barnes and Noble, and the ESPN Zone.