Loyola High School is the region's oldest educational institution, pre-dating the University of California system and the Los Angeles public schools. The school was founded in 1865 as St. Vincent's College at the behest of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Los Angeles Bishop Thaddeus Amat, a member of the Vincentian order. In 1919, the Vincentians agreed to transfer management of the school to the Jesuits. In 1927, the school moved to its current location in Harvard Heights on land provided by Irish philanthropist Thomas P. Higgins.
The school expanded the campus by incorporating a warehouse building adjacent to the campus. This was converted into an arts facility including a large band and choral practice rooms along with faculty offices, and regular and electronic music classrooms. MLA assisted Killefer Flammang Architects with the room design, interior acoustics, and HVAC noise control. The facility serves an important academic need in a practical utilitarian complex.