Built in 1910, the 11-story Rowan Building was designed by Parkinson & Bergstrom in a mix of Beaux Arts and Classical styles. Ornate cast iron rosettes hang from the building's cornice, and elegant glazed terra cotta panels cover the facade. During its construction, the Times described it as a "mammoth" structure being built with the most massive steel girders and beams ever used on the West Coast. Built from 3000 tons of steel, it was the largest office building in Los Angeles in 1911 and housed many of the city’s prominent law offices and stock brokerage firms. It has been converted into 206 live/work condominium units with retail space on the ground floor. Many interior features including Carrara marble corridor walls and floors, mahogany windows, and Art Deco elevator doors have been preserved.
Working with Downtown Properties and Killefer Flammang Architects, MLA developed acoustical details for the construction of the unit separations including walls and floors. All of the floors were hard surfaces with either hardwood or tile. Separations were designed to STC 60 and IIC 65 acoustical ratings. MLA also worked with the mechanical engineers on the noise control in the mechanical and plumbing systems.